Alumni Profile: Ross Irving

Ross Irving

Art Collection Manager, Wilhelmina Barns-Graham Trust

MLitt, 2008-9

I am a graduate from the 2009-10 course, with an undergraduate degree in History. I actually got my first job before I had completed the course, starting in the summer of 2009 at National Museums Scotland as a Project Assistant. I was very grateful for the practical focus of the course as over that summer we moved the Scottish archaeology collection to a brand new store on the other side of Edinburgh. I was fortunate enough to get a number of temporary contracts at NMS, eventually being made permanent as Assistant Curator in the World Cultures department. After 5 years I moved to Fife Cultural Trust to work as Curator (Collections) with their varied collection of art, archaeology, natural history and local history. I currently work as Art Collection Manager for the charity set up by Scottish artist Wilhelmina Barns-Graham. We represent the artist’s estate and loan work out to galleries and museums as well as putting on our own exhibitions. We also fund bursaries and travel scholarships for art students. I really enjoyed my time at St Andrews and the opportunities it has presented me with.