Alumni Profile: Cherith Summers

Cherith Summers

Director, Murphy & Partners Art Advisory

MLitt (part-time), 2016-18

I graduated from the 2016-2018 part-time course recently and have already found the lessons I learned in the MGS coursework to be useful in my career in the commercial art world. While at the Estate of Francis Bacon (during the course) studies in collection management and digital aspects of museums helped me as I oversaw the digitisation of the catalogue raisonné, and when I was creating content for our digital audience. In my present role at an art advisory firm, the background in collection management software has also helped me to advise clients when they seek similar things.

However, the most valuable thing for me was writing my MGS thesis on art dealer Erica Brausen, which has subsequently led to curatorial and writing opportunities. The MGS training was vital as (with a volunteer team of 2 and – in my case – no previous curatorial experience) I co-curated an exhibition on emigre art dealers – I had samples of loan forms and teaching on best practice for organising exhibitions.

The course has given me a rounded background which proves helpful even in the non-museum art sphere.