Alumni Profile: Sandra Vacca

Sandra Vacca

Manager & Curator – DOMiD’s Virtual Migration Museum
MLitt 2007-8

After graduating in 2008, I took on the position of curator at the St. Andrews Preservation Trust Museum for a year, where I got the chance to work closely with passionate volunteers and trustees. I then moved to Cologne (Germany), where I started a PhD on the musealisation of migration and taught a few seminars at the University of Cologne. My research led me to the Documentation Centre and Museum of Migration in Germany (DOMiD), for which I started working in 2013. There I helped with several projects, small exhibitions and collecting before co-developing DOMiD’s Virtual Migration Museum, of which I am now the project manager and curator. Parallel to this I give workshops on the history of migration to trade union members.

I have very fond memories of the course and my fellow students. My favourite part was the student exhibition, which taught me the importance of good team coordination and time management. I am very thankful to all the people involved in the course for introducing me to theoretical and practical skills I still use today.