Alumni Profile: Hilary Burwell

Hilary Burwell

Art Collection Manager, RBS

MLitt Part-time 2005-7

After completing an MA(Hons) in Art History I was working but wanted to undertake a postgraduate degree. The University of St Andrews part-time course was particularly well suited to me, and to many of my course contemporaries, in that it meant I didn’t have to step out of employment to complete it. I continued to work full time throughout as a Development Manager at the National Galleries of Scotland and found that the immediate practical application of what I learned on the course vastly increased its value. I also had the opportunity to draw on the expertise of my fellow part time students and work colleagues for case studies, knowledge exchange and inspiration.

Since graduating I applied what I learned on the course to the redevelopment of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, several major NGS projects and the management of their research programme.

I am now sole curator of the RBS art collection, a uniquely challenging role managing a large and varied corporate art collection, with wide curatorial and geographical spread. I work regularly with galleries and museums on our loans programme and continue to employ much of the knowledge and skills I acquired at St Andrews.