Alumni Profile: Fiona McDougall

Fiona McDougall

Exhibitions Manager & Art Curator, Scottish Parliament’s Events and Exhibitions Team

PGDip, 1999-2000

I arrived at St. Andrews University in 1994, a seventeen-year-old from Greenock with a love of drawing, reading and visiting my local museum. As an undergrad, I had some passionate and knowledgeable lecturers who introduced me to the work of many of Scotland’s artists, photographers and writers.

Doing the PG Dip was an instrumental experience. Today I also see the benefits from hosting interns from the course in the workplace. The course gave me a strong grounding in museum good practice and ethics. The opportunity to work as part of a small team to develop an exhibition from scratch, to a timescale and budget, was great preparedness for starting work.

My other jobs have been in collections and exhibitions roles; as Assistant Curator at the Royal & Ancient Golf Club, and as a part-time Accreditation Manager at Museums Galleries Scotland.

Since starting here in 2005, alongside the challenges of caring for and interpreting a contemporary art collection in a busy working Parliament building, I’ve worked on some very memorable commissions, exhibitions and projects, and with some very dedicated and talented artists and writers. I would recommend becoming a curator to anyone enthusiastic about their subject and sharing it with audiences.