Alumni Profile: Ioannis Ioannou

Ioannis Ioannou

Arts Marketing, PR, Brand and Creative Place Making Consultant
MLitt, 2002 – 2003

I always look back very fondly of my time at St. Andrews University, the course and the life friendships I was fortunate to make during my time there.

The course cemented the professional direction I wanted to take in the arts sector. My course work, dissertation, group exhibition, as well as volunteering at The Crawford Arts Centre, all reinforced my desire to work with diverse audiences and established strong foundations for a successful career in arts marketing, engagement, audience development, branding, visitor experience and creatively led place making and regeneration.

The course instilled in me a strong commitment to using arts and creativity to transform places, create communities and make them better places to live, work, play, visit and study. I passionately believe in creating novel experiences that bring meaning in people’s lives in a fun and connected way, something that I discovered about myself during my time at St. Andrews University.

As a consequence, the last 16 years I delivered the learning and outreach programme at Paisley Museum and Art Galleries, and oversaw the programme of exhibitions and activities at Coats Observatory and Renfrew Museum. Following that, I implemented an audience development strategy that achieved an impressive increase in visitor, events and participant numbers at The New Art Gallery Walsall.

The last 7 years I have been the Head of Marketing and Engagement at Creative Folkestone, where through marketing and place making campaigns for Folkestone Triennial, Folkestone Artworks, Creative Quarter, Quarterhouse and Book Festival, I transformed the way the organisation presents itself and communicates with diverse audiences, making Creative Folkestone an example of best practice nationally and internationally for creatively led regeneration. I have recently become a freelance consultant working with a number of arts organisation on similar campaigns.

All the above would not have been possible without my MLitt Museum and Gallery Studies, a course that I would recommend to anyone seeking a similar journey to mine in the art world in this country and abroad.